Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Tucumcari

Just when I thought life this year could not possibly get any more interesting, just when I was beginning to consider that I might have peaked for the year, that I must have hit my quota of awesomeness and that I must be maxed out of fantastic-amazing experiences that have blossomed from a few major decisions in life, just when I figured I would ride this wave out standing up for the duration of 2013, comes the meeting of a kindred spirit.  A kindred spirit that evoked something, unearthed something in my soul that I otherwise had considered un-earthable because it had been stifled so long. 

Backing up, this year has been very interesting.  For me, it started off with the anticipation of waiting to hear back from CBS (well, their 3rd party casting company) in regards to if I was to be selected as a candidate for The Great American Bake-Off, which soon ended in a disappointment.  Soon thereafter I broke up with my ex boyfriend of 5.5 years because it was just time.  I had known something was not right but kept fighting and working to make it right, for the better part of 4 years.  Fortunately we had no financial ties, our only mutual friends were his and they gladly supported him through the breakup, and of course our deep emotional ties, which kept us coming back to one another for a few months thereafter.  While I might have made it look easy, it certainly wasn't and it was quite a way to begin "the year of 30", but I knew myself and knew that I didn't want to start the next decade feeling this uncertain about the man I had wanted for so long to fit the square peg in the round hole in order to spend the rest of my life with. 

About two-three months later, the NYC opportunity came up for me at work and over the next few months thereafter, I materialized that opportunity and took my sister with me on this ride.  Needless to say, the first half of 2013 went by fairly quickly because Kelly and I were making plans to wrap up our lives in CA and transition to NYC.  Then, from July until now, we have been in a very exciting whirlwind of new experiences, new destinations, sights and sounds.  New friends?  Not as much, nor not as quickly as you would think. But it's not as though Kelly and I have been actively trying to make friends.  Well, maybe Kel has, but I'm not one to actively TRY and make friends just like I haven't TRIED to meet new men.....up until the last month have I ever made an attempt at online dating, nor do I just hit on a man unless I have a little liquid courage, which still never goes as well as anticipated.  Still getting dating tips from the sis, both in-person dating and online dating tips, seeing as she has been active on the latter for the past 15 years.  But in regards to friends, I tend to meet friends at work, school, and via organizations/clubs/committees, and I have actually met some of my very best friends through these channels, notably work. 

But every once and a while, and it seems to be my specialty, I'll meet a new friend whilst on vacation.  Whether it be a friend met while camping with the family at Carpinteria as a kid, on a Hawaiian graduation trip with my girlfriends, while in Kauai with friends for a wedding, on our family Christmas Caribbean cruise, or the best one and most recent one to date - while in the "Hamps" for Labor Day.  Is it that I can completely be myself because I am relaxed or could it be because I am romanticized by the exotic location/s, new destination/experiences, and the fact that we have a limited amount of time, therefore the excitement is dialed up?  Whatever it may be and I have not quite figured out just yet what the recipe of success for these new friendships is, I have just about mastered the art of meeting new friends via vacation.  This latest vacation friend has become a real-life friend, as we both live in NYC, albeit different boroughs.  And only time will tell where this friendship leads, but it has certainly kept the 'exciting new adventures of 2013 momentum' going.  We'll call this friend Tucumcari for now.  More on that later, and just why he's the best out of any of these 'friends' I have made to date.  =D

Willin' by Little Feat

I been warped by the rain, driven by the snow
I'm drunk and dirty don't ya know, and I'm still, willin'
Out on the road late at night, Seen my pretty Alice in every head light
Alice, Dallas Alice

I've been from Tuscon to Tucumcari
Tehachapi to Tonapah
Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
Driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed
And if you give me: weed, whites, and wine
And you show me a sign
I'll be willin', to be movin'

I've been kicked by the wind, robbed by the sleet
Had my head stoved in, but I'm still on my feet and I'm still... willin'
Now I smuggled some smokes and folks from Mexico
Baked by the sun, every time I go to Mexico, and I'm still

And I been from Tuscon to Tucumcari
Tehachapi to Tonapah
Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
Driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed
And if you give me: weed, whites, and wine
And you show me a sign
I'll be willin', to be movin

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/l/little+feat/willin_20343954.html

No comments:

Post a Comment