Friday, September 20, 2013

Béisbol

Oh yes, the great national pastime.  Baseball is one of my favorite sports to watch, play, and talk about.  I'm not a huge follower in regard to statistics, etc., but I love the game and when asked I will always go to a game.  I'm certainly not as much of a baseball fanatic as I am a football fanatic (Go Texans!  Beat the Ravens on Sunday!).  Funny... now that I live in Brooklyn, I'm intrigued by the history of baseball a bit more.  I think next week I'll wander over to the Brooklyn Public Library and check out a book or two on the subject.  

I always have fun at baseball games.  First of all, there's the game.  Amazing athletes who are paid to play baseball.  They are also usually big, hunky men in tight pants with broad shoulders, so needless to say it's not hard for me to pay attention.  Speaking of pants...


I greatly prefer the pants style that the player on the left is wearing.  The "old fashioned" version where you can see their socks.  The more modern version, on the right, are not my cup of tea.  I have a very serious opinion about this.

Besides the beefy men, there's other things I love about going to a baseball game.  The peanuts, for example.  I don't know what it is, but the peanuts at baseball games are fantastically roasted, incredibly salty, and perfect in every way.  They are nicely complimented by a cold, overpriced beer.  If I'm at Dodger stadium, a Dodger dog is in order.  With onions, mustard, relish, and sauerkraut if they have it.  I love the cheesy organ music, the seventh inning stretch, the camaraderie between strangers who have come together to root for their favorite team.  Games are in the summer or fall, so being outside in gorgeous weather - ah I love it!  Oh, and the bobbleheads.  Useless tchotchkes that have no purpose but always seem to agree with me.  Yes, Kelly, I agree Kelly, whatever you say, Kelly.  They just keep nodding their agreement and approval!

I found a few photos of me at Dodgers games through the years, although this doesn't document every game I've been to.  Although, there are rare occasions where I attend a baseball game at another stadium...


Me and my BFF Candace years ago, she got free tickets to an Angels game (great seats so we couldn't refuse).  I actually wore red in support of the Angels, a rarity for me.  They played the Red Sox and Coco Crisp was playing for Boston at the time, so of course I had to make a joke.  So I shouted, "Yo mama so fat she named you Coco Crisp!" Candace and I busted up laughing, but the O.C. fans were all too busy on their Blackberries to even notice how funny that joke was.  Lame.  I prefer Dodgers stadium even when they're playing the Pirates or some other horrible team.

Me with some of my ZTA sisters back in the day, rooting on the Dodgers in dear ole Chavez Ravine.  Christen, Maria, me, Marcy, and Felicia.  I love these gals.  Marcy has an amazing collection of Dodgers hats, I'm envious every time she posts a photo of a new one.

The fam-bam!  We have always tried to go to at least one Dodgers game a year.  This particular year, I thought I had scored some bad-ass tickets, but ummmmm we were four rows from the top.  Great area of the field, but way higher of a section than I thought.  Sometimes I can't read maps well, apparently...

Me and another of my BFFs, Lauren.  We've been to a bunch of Dodgers games together and we always have so much fun!  We even went on a double date there (triple date if you count our buddy Frank and his date?), which was way fun.  The double date was on a night celebrating Tommy Lasorda's birthday, so they let us onto the field (the outfield only), they played Frank Sinatra, and they set off fireworks.  My date took my hand and asked me to dance, so we slow-danced around the outfield of Dodgers stadium to Frank Sinatra while fireworks went off.  It's a shame that guy didn't work out because that is definitely a chick-flick-worthy story.

These are probably the best seats I've ever had at Dodgers stadium, when I went with Lauren earlier this year.

Megan and I went to our first baseball game in NY at Citi Field in Queens, she took me for my birthday and we had great seats.  And of course we wore our Dodgers blue!  We sat next to some nice older men (Twins! and a friend. Married and harmless), and they were very curious about us LA girls and why we were in NY and we talked through the entire game, when we weren't wandering the stadium.

Oh, and Lauren... I'll be representing Dodgers blue tonight at the Yankees game versus the SF Giants.  I don't mind being that obnoxious person who wears gear from a team that isn't even playing that night.  I miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment