Friday, September 13, 2013

My last meal

It's a common question among foodies, "What would your last meal on earth be?"  Well, I found mine, and I ate it last night at Flatbush Farm.

Side note - I originally typed "amongst foodies," and "amongst" flagged my spell check.  What?  Isn't amongst a word?  There are varying opinions, but according to Oxford, yes it is.  Weird.

Last night, Megan was meeting her first ever date from the world of internet dating.  As a responsible big sister, I couldn't let her meet him alone so I sat one chair down at the bar and pretended I didn't know her.  He didn't have a clue the entire time, even when Megan leaned over to me and said, "Excuse me miss, but what is that delicious dessert you're having?"  Hahahahaha...  which brings me back to the food.

Last night was a splurge night for me, I don't typically eat like this anymore.  But damn it was good.  I started with my favorite cocktail, a dirty Grey Goose martini, straight up.  A big difference between NY and LA is that in NYC you have to state "straight up" or "on the rocks."  In LA it's assumed you want you martini straight up.  Megan had ordered some oysters, so a sweet and tender Rhode Island oyster joined by a squeeze of lemon and some cocktail sauce started the mouth party off with a bang.  The bartender was telling me the specials and once I heard "grass-fed rib eye" I knew what I was getting without even cracking the menu open.  So I ordered the grass-fed rib eye beef steak, cooked medium rare.  It was accompanied by green beans and fingerling potatoes sauteed in some amazing happy seasonings.  A light glaze with mustard seeds was drizzled on the steak.  Every single bite was amazing.  The steak was tender, cooked perfectly, crispy on the outside and just ridiculously tasty.  And there was no gristle or fat to be seen, any intramuscular fat had melted and created fantastic flavor. *sigh*  Thank goodness there was some hip tunes coming from the record player (yes, authentic vinyl records were spinning), because otherwise people would have heard my happy food noises.  I wasn't going to get anything for dessert, but Megan was still chatting with Sandro and I saw my favorite dessert ever - brownie sundae.  Well actually, it was a "bonfire" brownie with peanut butter chip ice cream.  The brownie was warm and gooey and not overly sweet, the ice cream was indescribable, and the bonfire was the little toasted marshmallow served on the side, perfectly melty in the middle.  Paired with a 10 year port and I was in tastebud heaven.

The funny thing is... the meal didn't include any cheese.  I LOVE cheese.  I think my backup last meal would be a wedge of Cambozola cheese with multigrain water crackers, juicy medjool dates, and a big glass of cabernet sauvignon.

But wait, what about my beer?  I ADORE beer!  Ok, my backup-backup last meal would a pulled pork sandwich on an artisan roll (just the perfect amount of crusty goodness outside and chewy inside) with a sweet/tangy BBQ sauce, a sour dill pickle on the side, and a delicious Köstritzer beer.  Yes.

I need to go to spin class just to burn off the calories that I'm consuming in my dreams.  Yum!

Oh and I was a bad foodie and didn't take any photos of the food last night because I didn't want to attract attention, but here's a photo of me with my favorite beer in the world, which we found at Der Schwarze Kölner biergarten in Brooklyn.


Clearly, I'm overjoyed to have found my Köstritzer!

No comments:

Post a Comment