Thursday, September 12, 2013

East versus west

No... I'm not talking about NYC versus LA.  Nor Biggie Smalls versus Tupac.  Neither am I discussing the difference between the upper east side versus the upper west side.  I'm talking about medicine.

Let me start by saying that I believe in doctors, I respect them and I admire their ability to heal and make bodies whole.  At one point in life, being a doctor was what I wanted to be when I grew up.  I think modern medicine is amazing and I'm constantly in awe of how different ailments are treated with western medicine with great success.  However, I believe that if I can treat what ails me with homeopathic supplements, I'd rather do that than with a prescription drug.  There's more to eastern medicine than just homeopathic/herbal remedies, but that's what I have adopted the most.  UCLA has an interesting article in one of their newsletters about integrating eastern medicine techniques into western medicine traditions, it's the best of both worlds.  One day soon I need to find myself a naturopathic doctor here in NYC.

Also, I'd like to say that I don't really have any dietary restrictions as far as what I eat, I have no allergies and I am an omnivore.  So I don't do research to find gelatin-free capsules, etc.  I choose sublingual or chewable supplements if I can because first of all, they're fun, and second of all, if my band is really tight I can't take large pills (I will tell my weight loss story sometime in the future, it's a long story with a happy ending).  

Right now, I've started taking 5-HTP and GABA again, they help me fight depression and while I've been in a little slump for the past few weeks, I sure as heck don't want it to continue into the fall and winter, when I'm extra susceptible to seasonal depression.  Being a little blue is a warning sign for me and full blown depression is really not fun and it's a scary downward spiral if I don't catch it in time.  I like getting out of bed, meeting new people, and doing normal activities like checking my mail and answering phone calls (things I avoid when I'm depressed).  So it's time to be proactive and set up a routine of nutrition, exercise, social activities, and homeopathic supplements.  I'm going to continue taking them until the spring, just as a precautionary measure.  

Here's a photo of all of the vitamins and supplements in my medicine cabinet right now.



From left to right, they are as follows:
  1. OxyELITE Pro
  2. High Potency chewable multivitamin from Trader Joe's
  3. Liver Blend SP-13 from Solaray
  4. GABA Plus from Twinlab
  5. HTP Calm from Natural Balance
  6. BCAA with glutamine from Jarrow Formulas
  7. Cranberry supplements from Rite Aid
  8. Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM complex from Target's Up and Up brand
  9. Iron chewable from Nature's Plus
  10. Vitamin C with rose hips chewable tablets I think from Target...
  11. Biotin lozenges from Solaray
  12. Vitamin D chewable from Nature Made
  13. B vitamin complex sublingual liquid from Nature's Bounty  - not pictured because I forgot and I don't want to retake the photo
***Now, obviously I'm no dietitian, nor am I a doctor or pharmacist, and I'm not here to tell you to put anything in your body that you haven't run by your doctor or done research on yourself.  I'm just sharing what I take and why and how it affects me.  So don't blame me if you try one of these supplements and start growing another pinky toe or something, ok?!?***

Admittedly, I should know more about combining stuff and when to take vitamins and with what in order to maximize efficacy.  I just know what I want these things to do for me.  OxyELITE Pro is a thermogenic, aka fatburner.  The various multivitamins, iron, vitamins B/C/D etc. I use to fill in the gaps in my diet in case I'm not getting everything through my food.  I eat well, but hey why not.  The liver supplement I bought because I do like a cocktail or three from time to time and figured I might help the ole gal out.  I don't drink booze as frequently as I used to though, which is the best thing for my liver and body in general.  The cranberry is because the older I get, the more finicky my lady parts and related area can be.  I inherited wonky joints from my Pops, and being morbidly obese for 10+ years didn't help matters, so the glucosamine and chondroitin make my joints happy.  As an almost reformed nail-biter, the biotin makes my nails grow and also helps my baby fine hair stay strong and grow well.  Then there are the amino acids... branch chain amino acids with glutamine are good for my exercising and athletic tendencies.  And of course my GABA and 5-HTP, amino acids that are my version of Zoloft, Lexapro, or Cymbalta.  Add in the other natural happy endorphins I get from exercise, and you have a happy Kelly who is armed to fight off that mean monster of depression.

Oh, and for pain I usually try to tough it out.  But in the case of a kayak paddle dropping on my toe, a jaw-clenching stress headache, or a celebratory champagne hangover, I prefer ibuprofen or naproxen sodium over acetaminophen.  After I try the ole pressure-point manipulation, eastern style of course.

In general, I'm happy to say that I'm blessed with good health and an obnoxiously optimistic disposition.  Let's hope that I stay that way.

Do you use homeopathic supplements or certain foods to treat your ailments?  How do you fight depression?

No comments:

Post a Comment