Thursday, September 12, 2013

Secret single behavior

Megan and I are watching the entire series of Sex and the City.  As research, both of pop culture and our new city.  I try assuring our Mom that we are not taking any relationship advice from the show, but I'm not sure that she's convinced.  Now, I could go into the characters and stories and how much Carrie bothers me sometimes, but that's a whole 'nother blog.

We're in the middle of season 4, and episode 13 talks about "secret single behavior," or what we'll just call SSB for short.  Carrie stacks saltine crackers, puts grape jelly on them, and eats them standing up in her kitchen reading fashion magazines.  Miranda puts Vaseline on her hands while wearing some funky gloves and watches infomercials.  Charlotte used to spend an hour a night looking at her pores, but thinks that Trey will think she's weird and so she doesn't do it anymore.  Samantha, of course, doesn't have any SSB.  It got me thinking... what is my SSB?

Hmmmmmm, I think that the most obvious behavior is that I use one half of my king size bed as a catchall for laundry, purses, mail, and Rufus of course.  I have a down comforter and a lovely duvet cover from Pottery Barn, and it has been friggin' hot and humid most of the summer so I fold over my duvet over the stuff on that half of the bed and I just sleep under my sheet.  It works out well, because I also use my decorative pillows to put over my head as earplugs, or I snuggle up with them and I call them my "pillow boyfriend."  I have six pillows total, and I love them all equally.  Even the one strange pillow that appeared out of nowhere back when I lived with Gabi on Allen Avenue in Pasadena.  Yes, a brand-new down and quilted pillow just randomly showed up on my bed and nobody has any idea where it came from.  Gabi didn't buy it for me, my Mom didn't sneak it into my room, and I sure as heck didn't buy it and develop some random case of amnesia.  Weird but true.  And yes of course I still used it - it was brand new and perfectly fluffy-firm!  Stowaway pillow, you're my favorite.

I know there has to be other SSB but I think it's mostly personal grooming stuff.  For example, I asked Megan and she responded, "examining my body for unwanted hairs and plucking as necessary."  That's pretty good SSB, probably something she wouldn't do in front of a boyfriend, I'd recommend saving that for marriage.  

Do you have any SSB?  Or used to have, if you're currently coupled up?

1 comment:

  1. Dang! I've been missing that pillow and the SSB we had for the longest time!!

    ReplyDelete