Sunday, May 5, 2013

Up, Up, And Away!

I sit at LAX this afternoon and wait for my delayed flight to the other side of the country - the other side of the world as far as my family is concerned - and I take it all in from my perfect window-perch conveniently situated next to outlets, propped up by a pillar, and within site of the gate.  Perfect way to start this reconnaissance trip is to collect myself and be still before anything but, before the freneticism and electricity of NYC consumes me.  It is intoxicating, I will admit that much.  And some might say it's suffocating if that's all you know.  But THIS is all I know and even though I frequent the quieter trails of the sleeping giants aka SG Mountains, I feel I am running low on oxygen and definitely low on perspective.

I have a small attention span.  I get bored easily.  I am all over the place and am known to have 20 browser tabs open simultaneously.  And I know this, son.  I have accepted it.  Perhaps it is how I multitask so efficiently.  But will I get bored of NYC?  While I hardly think so, truly only time will tell.  Have I gotten bored of LA, of Pasadena, of the comfort that cradles me like a mother to her newborn, wanting to protect her from all that lies beyond the security of her arms?  Why yes, yes I have.  I feel like a newborn in many ways and I am ready to spread my wings.  Ready for a new perspective on life.  Because this baby knows that there is so much more to life than what lies under this security blanket.

My gaze stops on a lonely crow outside on the tarmac, eating something out of a flooded crack in the ground.  I relate to that crow in this moment in that I am headed up in a 747 to carry me magically away up, up, and away in the mysterious skies towards uncharted seas [for me], chowing down on the unknown.  And while what bit I am chomping at may seem unfathomable and undesirable to some, to me it is delicious and satiating.  Consider my appetite whet.  As Kelly puts it, "We have been bit by the travel bug", and we are ready to be taken up, up, and away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment