Monday, April 22, 2013

The hardest part is through

Today we told our parents that we're moving to New York. 

That's right, my sister Megan and I (Kelly, for those of you who don't know me yet), had to tell our amazing, loving, wonderful, fantastic parents that their two daughters and their only two children are leaving the west coast in pursuit of our dreams and life.

That means we're leaving them.  Well, at least from their point of view... 

The thing is, I'm a 32 year old single lady who has never been married or had kids and I'm about 3 weeks into unemployment.  It's the first time in my life since I was 15 and a half and I got my worker's permit that I have not had a job.  Even in college I had at least a part-time job for spending money to hang out with my friends or so I could buy panties that my parents wouldn't approve of and/or buy for me.  I'm a foodie and a sports fan and a social butterfly and I have been bitten by the travel bug so why on EARTH have I not been to New York yet?!?!  But that's a story for another time...

My sister Megan is 2 years and 10 months (give or take) younger than me.  She's approximately the same height as me and we certainly came from the same parents, but other than that we claim to be completely different; physically, mentally, emotionally, romantically.  We grew up in the same environment but we have had different experiences.  Megan and I are best friends now, the closest friends you can be, because I was there from the very beginning - in fact, her birth is my first memory.

I'm the eldest.  The pathfinder.  The adventurous and headstrong one.  The leader of the pack (vroooom vrooooom!).  But now, Megan is leading the way.  The company she works for is relocating her to New York City and I'm going along as well.  Considering that the last 6.5 years of my life were spent in banking/finance, I am excited to find a new career in the financial capital of the world, NYC.  It's weird to think that I'm moving to a place that I have never been, a place where I don't have a job (yet), a place where I know few people and no idea of what neighborhoods are cool or lame or ghetto.  But I'm confident that I will love it there.  I also know that if I stay here in the comfort of what I know, southern California, that I will be regretful of not pursuing what the world has to offer.  And I know that Megan feels the same.  Our parents, however, are nervous, scared, and anxious for everything that the big bad world will throw at their girls.  They want to be near us when we get married and have babies.  Mom and Dad are close to retirement and are solidifying everything that they have planned so that they can live the rest of their years in comfort and have good medical care, and here their daughters are taking off across the country without any regard for their parents' happiness or joy.  But as I told our dear ole Daddy-O, this decision isn't about them.  It's about our lives, our careers, and what we need to do.

So join us, and get to know us as we tell our story and find ourselves and have great adventures in a place 3,000 miles from everything we know.  I'm not sure that New York is ready for the Hartman sisters, but we'll definitely find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment